Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Can I Go Low-Car in September?

How low can I go?
http://www.pednet.org/programs/no-car-diet-challenge.asp

Setting goals for myself has been a very successful way for me to life a healthier lifestyle. A few years ago a friend challenged me to give up sugar for the holiday season. That turned into a year of eating very little sugar, dropping 30 pounds, and the end of my struggles with mild depression.

Losing that weight left me with more energy so I was able to increase my daily exercise.  I started riding my bike more, which lead to even more weight loss and increased muscle tone, and thus even more energy!  What an awesome cycle I was on!

My new challenge is a half-marathon (13.1 miles) in October.  That challenge has kept me regularly running four mornings a week even though the temps have been mighty high this summer.  There are many mornings I would rather sleep in, but the thought of that event looming keeps me going.

So, yes...I will do the Low Car challenge.  Every time I have to leave the house, the challenge will make me think "Can I do this without a car?"  Most of the time my answer will be YES, which will keep my weight down, make me stronger, help me run faster and longer, and then...well, the cycle just keeps going and new challenges will present themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment