Thursday, September 23, 2010

A new bike love!

I love bikes; I love riding bikes; I love riding bikes in the mud.

Who knew?  Actually, there were a few signs.  The first being the fact that in every picture of me from the epic inaugural Mayor's Cup I have a huge grin on my face. (Those of you that were there...you remember why it was epic!)  Also, the crazy XCX Cross County run is my favorite event of the year. Lot's-o-mud and getting dirty.

So when I saw an article about Cyclocross I was definitely interested.  But...I don't like getting injured.  That's why I never mountain biked.  Jumping over rocks and felled trees just seemed like I was asking for trouble that would take six weeks to recover from.  Plus I didn't own a mountain bike.  I just couldn't see dragging Trixie or LaWayne through something like this.  We know by now that Trixie has hidden capabilities (see Bike Obsession post) but this still seemed like too much.

I mentioned all of this to my co-worker Lawrence (new dad by the way!) and he said that Cyclecross isn't so much about the bike, but more about the fun.  Huh?  I've seen these dudes on YouTube videos.  They are road riders that found another way to compete. Actually, he said, these races are intense but short and are really organized around a big party.  No further words necessary; I was in.  He told me about a race called Hermann Cross on Sept 18th and that I should enter.

But what about a bike?  Yeah, that's a problem that I'm still working on.  In the meantime, Lawrence loaned me his pregnant-but-not-anymore wife Dana's mountain bike and we had our first lesson. 

First I got used to the feel of a mountain bike.  I love the way you can trust it on gravel and in tight corners.  I also love the fact that I don't see "wheel-truing dollar signs" at ever major bump and curb.  Then I learned how to jump on and off the bike while it was rolling and I was running.  Off is easy.  Getting back on takes a high level of trust in yourself.  Still, I got that under control and from that moment on I was hooked.  This Cyclocross thing was way better than I thought it would be.  I signed up for the race, not caring if I came in dead last.  At least I was doing it.

The next night we went out to Grindstone Park and rode on the off-trail tracks back there.  Mud, puddles, tree roots, wet grass.  It was awesome!   I enjoyed the concentration it takes to get through tricky areas.  I went for the deepest part of the puddles. I had a smile on my face and mud in my teeth.  I was ready for this Cyclo-thing!

So how was the race?  Well, remember me mentioning that Lawrence was a new dad and that Dana was pregnant-but-not-anymore.  We were all packed up to leave for Hermann and they decided that a quick check at the hospital was a good idea.  Dana was due in a week and having some leakage.  They never left Boone.  Liam Paul was born around 11:30pm on Sept. 18.

I still haven't made my Cyclocross debut, but Liam had his world premier and I am just fine with that.  It has been a joy to hold him and see his little baby expressions.  I haven't gotten any mud on him yet, but there's still time.

No comments:

Post a Comment