Thursday, February 3, 2011

Alternative Travel

Thursday morning and our street was still not plowed.  I'm not complaining though, I know its a big task getting streets cleared and ours is usually one of the last.  I'm used to it. 

I didn't want to attempt to get my vehicle out because, although my driveway is perfectly clean, it is clearly a "road to nowhere" and I didn't want to end up like this guy.
  My neighbor.  He's kinda mean or I would have helped.

So, how to get to the office today?  Biking was a possibility, but it was 15 below zero and I prefer to keep all my digits.  Instead I walked to the top of my road and hitched in with a co-worker.

Later that day I had a meeting at the Health Dept so I walked to the Wabash Station and grabbed the 103W bus.  A bargain for only a buck! It dropped me at the Health Dept. bldg but lo and behold, I was on another road to nowhere.

Bus stop at Worley and West Blvd.


After the bus pulled away I had to step back out into the street and go around the snow banks to get into the building.  Luckily, I have good mobility.  Anyone with limitations would have had trouble.
After the meeting I headed off walking to meet my husband at Gerbes for a restock of supplies.  Three days in the house with a gigantic 13-year-old left us with little more than some butter and General Tsao sauce. 

As soon as I left the parking lot it soon became apparent that I was going to have to improvise.  The sidewalks on Worley were completely snow covered.  I decided to walk in the road facing traffic. It was quite nerve wracking.  I was worried that someone might be texting and not see me until it was too late.

Bless those fire fighters at Station 2!  They had shoveled their walk!  I was able to get off of busy Worley until I could turn onto Pershing.
 The sidewalk in front of Fire Station 2


Challenging travel day? Yes.  But, I used three different modes of transportation and none of it single-occupancy vehicle.  I call that a success.









No comments:

Post a Comment